Monday 28 May 2012

Cresston V4 - Where Is It?

It seems that after my announcement was delayed, some people became very hot under the collar about it. Now, although I can obviously understand why it would be frustrating for some to see that I have had to hold the route back, some of the comments I have received are completely unneccessary, bordering on vicious in some cases. It never ceases to amaze me that certain members of the community have this feeling that despite receiving free content, they feel as though they are owed and consider their self importance over the feelings of those trying to provide them with content.

• Yes, I started a countdown and in hindsight, probably shouldn't have. However, I didn't envisage the issues I was going to run in to.

• Regardless of release dates, I am providing this route to everyone for free and it has to go out on my terms, plain and simple. Don't send me any further drivel about how I am wasting your time and money.

The reason it has been delayed is for various reasons. As much as the first release will be an uncompleted "Open Beta", it still has to meet various criteria for it to be fully useable where the only remaining issues after release should be the placement of remaining scenery and possible fixes to the enormous amount of custom assets. The main criteria it has to fulfil is that the route works without issue from a network perspective.

I also inexplicably laid the final section using the wrong track rule and on doing the final track switch from the old default Newcastle to York track to the WCML track, it has set in motion no end of problems. Given that this final section covers around 14 miles to the Northern terminus but also extends in two sections that seperate then meet again which doubles the amount of track, it also has several secondary passenger branch lines, an airport interchange branch and three TMD's that have around 60 track miles, its quite a large job to put right. As the terminus also has 11 platforms with two of them on a seperate through line to the West, its also a very large signalling job.

I am still fine tuning and exporting a large amount of custom objects and these now amount to over 200 all new assets that will be distributed with the route. As you can appreciate, this is a large scale effort and is not just a case of releasing a route with miles of track along with replacement of assets that you have already seen in other routes.

The line has also been vandalised. :D (See Screenshots Below)

So, the top and bottom is that I won't do any further countdowns or release dates as apart from the fact that expectations build, it upsets me if I cannot fulfil it as well. All I can say is to keep an eye on this blog for further updates and what should hopefully be a surprise announcement when the route goes "live". Of course, it will still need to have an initial degree of prior testing from my beta team, so if they start showing advance screenshots, you can probably hazard a guess that the route is close to being ready for download.


8 comments:

  1. Don't get worked up about it Darren, your true fans won't complain. Especially those who like me have attempted or have made routes of their own, who know just how difficult it can be to predict the completion of the route with factoring in the inevitable teething difficulties and unexpected problems or crashes. I know how hard it can be to meet targets with route making, and since this is a free route nobody has a right to complain, you've obviously spent a long time on Cresston and I think it's a disgrace that people can actually moan about it when it doesn't come out on time. I don't see why people would want to moan anyway, it's not exactly the external water aid in an African country with severe drought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is out of order for anyone to be having a pop at you, Darren, for not releasing free content until it's ready and you are happy with it. Far too many 'gimme-pigs' with little regard of the work involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Feel quite embarrassed that it all kicked off on the RWTS Facebook Page, I Apologise for the grief that's been caused And should have never of posted the announcement you have had to delay it.

    I was lead to believe we had grown up 'likers' but it seems that's not the case. :-( Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys.

    Dave, it wasn't really that comment on your wall, it was private ones I received via the website feedback form. Utterly ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mind boggling that you received abuse.

    Looking forward to the completed route; looks grand.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Darren
    on some of your screenshots for Cresston V4 I keep seeing a "Kuato Rules" graffiti, is this a nod to "Kuato Lives" from Total Recall or just a weird coincidence.
    Dave Dewhurst

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello respected Darren! I would like to test your, remarkable route! It very much was pleasant to me. Yours faithfully Vladimir. For communication with me: losevo58@mail.ru

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea why people seem to act like this. Its beyond me. Keep it up, don't let them bring you down, as there are people out there who do love what you are doing and help you.

    ReplyDelete